Rice Krispies treats are pretty close to perfection — a sweet, buttery, chewy, and crunchy snack that requires only three ingredients. A full batch takes very little effort to execute, so why would you ever need a recipe for a single Rice Krispies treat?
This recipe is ideal for using up that last cup of cereal, making one, but is also great for teaching your little ones how to safely use the microwave. All you need is a microwave, a mug, and a minute.
For Speed, Go with the Microwave
Surely you could make this recipe on the stovetop in a very tiny pan, or you might even be able to crank one out of an Easy-Bake Oven, but speed is the name of the game here. A microwave is the fastest path from craving to Rice Krispies treat. Just remember that the times given below are guidelines, and microwave power varies slightly by manufacturer.
Getting the Kids Involved
My 4-year-old daughter and I tested this recipe together, making four different treats after preschool one day. I put her to work counting marshmallows and measuring cereal. We talked about math and butter while she worked. She was able to set the microwave and do most of the mixing herself. I imagine older kids could do this entirely on their own. Do use caution when taking the warm mug out of the microwave — 20 seconds doesn’t seem like much, but one of our thinner-handled mugs came out quite hot. Also be prepared to sweep after letting your 4-year-old measure Rice Krispies.
Cup of Cereal, Pat of Butter
Here’s a hack for the dorm-bound: The single-serve Rice Krispies cups that you can pick up in the cafeteria are almost exactly one cup of cereal. So if you keep some marshmallows on hand and snag a pat of butter from the dining hall, you can have a Rice Krispies treat nearly anytime you want it — like at 2 a.m. when you’re trying to finish a paper.
How To Make a Single Rice Krispies Treat
What You Need
1 teaspoon unsalted butter, plus more for coating the dish
6 large marshmallows, or 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
1 cup toasted rice crisp cereal, such as Rice Krispies
Small square dish or ramekin
Microwave-safe mug or bowl
- Prep the pan: Lightly coat a small square dish or ramekin with butter; set aside.
- Melt the butter: Melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl or mug, about 15 seconds on the high setting.
- Melt the marshmallows: Add the marshmallows to the butter and microwave 20 seconds more to melt the marshmallows. Stir the mixture to combine.
- Add the cereal: Add the cereal and stir to combine.
- Press: Transfer the mixture to the prepared dish or ramekin, press into an even layer using a piece of wax or parchment paper to press and shape as need. Cool completely.